Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D300s sporadic CF failures, ideas?

timpsm

Salt Spring Island, CA
416 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
timpsm Registered since 17th Sep 2010
Tue 17-Sep-13 06:25 AM

I have been getting occasional (a group of 2 or 3 failed shots every 200 shots or so) failures on the Lexar Professional 400x 32GB CF card in my D300s (Firmward 1.01 & 1.01). I have attached a screen grab from Adobe Bridge CS5 (ignore the .PSD and .JPG's, they are from post-processing of course). When I look through the files using Bridge, I see blank file icons (instead of thumbnails) which I can not open (Photoshop CS5 Mac: "Could not complete your request because an unexpected end-of-file was encountered."). I don't see single shot failures, it is always a group of from 2, usually 3, sometimes 4 shots that are sequential or almost sequential (often have one or two good shots between the failed ones, never have more than 4 failures). I shoot exclusively RAW (.NEF).

I reformat the CF card in the camera every day that I unload the card. I never saw these failures until about a year ago, I have had that card for almost three years now. I have tried removing & reinserting the card (the card is never removed from the camera at all, I always download via USB and I always use the same card).

I have just put an older 2GB CF card into the camera to see if the errors stop, but if the problem is an intermittent contact a new card will not fix it . . . and sooner or later I will lose shots that really matter. I have been lucky so far but in the last 10,000 shots I probably have lost 60-80 in 20-30 separate events.

Has anyone seen this sort of behaviour before? Does it sound like the camera? The card? Gremlins?

tim

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D300s sporadic CF failures, ideas?

G