Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

The Grass was not Greener.

snegron

Cape Coral, Florida, US
1698 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
snegron Silver Member Nikonian since 05th May 2007
Tue 10-Sep-13 02:13 AM

For the past several years I have been searching for the "perfect" travel/daily use camera. I wanted a light weight setup with good IQ. I tried higher end point & shoots, but they were not as versatile as my gripped D200 with 17-55mm 2.8 AF-S DX and SB800 Speedlight.

I ventured into m4/3; first with an Olympus EPL2, then with a Panasonic G5 kit. While very different cameras, both had one thing in common; their IQ was nowhere near what I was getting with my D200.

While my un-gripped D200 with a smaller prime (currently a 35mm 2.0 AF-D) is about three times as heavy as my G5, the extra weight is well worth it. After comparing images shot with my m4/3 outfits to my D200 images, I have only the utmost respect for the D200.

I have always liked my D200. I strayed briefly, but my experimentation only led me to appreciate my D200 more. I have a back up D200 I purchased new a few years ago. It has less than 20 clicks on it. I was thinking about selling it, but I decided that the grass is not greener on the other side (at least on the m4/3 side). Someday when my current D200 dies I will take my back-up D200 out of its box and continue to shoot.

I'm sure there are plenty of newer Nikon bodies out there with much better IQ than the D200, but after my disappointing venture into m4/3 the D200 files seem almost like medium format film images!

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: The Grass was not Greener.

G