Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D300S no live view when usb connected

cod

Winnipeg, CA
88 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
cod Registered since 12th Apr 2009
Thu 11-Jul-13 08:58 PM

I am experimenting with using my D300S on a good quality microscope using Lightroom 5’s tethered shooting abilities on a Windows 8 machine. Everything is setup correctly. LR recognizes the D300S and I can take pictures using the on-camera shutter release and remotely from LR and they show up fine in LR.

Here’s my problem. I can’t access live view when the USB cable connecting the camera to the computer is plugged into the camera. The live view button does nothing while the usb cable is plugged in. Unplug it and everything is fine. This doesn’t seem right to me. Should I not be able to get a “live view” on my computer screen? That would really help with focusing the microscope. Also, it suggests I can’t capture video while tethered to LR. Am I missing something or is LR tethering really that limited? I have the same issue whether I have a microscope adaptor or a lens connected to the camera.

I can’t seem to find clear info on the web. I found info saying that other capture software, e.g. Nikon’s Camera Control Pro 2, needs to go between the camera and LR but those sites referred to early versions of LR. I also found info suggesting that isn’t necessary with more recent versions, which is supported by the fact that recent versions of Windows are not listed as supported OS’s on the Camera Control website. I did notice, however, that Windows 8 did automatically install some kind of driver before LR would recognize my tethered D300S.

So can anyone shed light on this, please? Will live view just not work when a usb is plugged into the camera? Is this a limitation of LR5? Do I still need intermediate software? I appreciate any help you can give.

Chris O'Donoghue
Winnipeg, Manitoba
codonoghue.prosite.com

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D300S no live view when usb connected

G