Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Battery release from battery "chamber" -- Oops! Problem Resolved

Jim Mohundro

Seattle, US
450 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Jim Mohundro Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd Jul 2008
Tue 14-May-13 07:03 PM | edited Tue 14-May-13 07:20 PM by Jim Mohundro

I posted in the last day or two about my "new" used D300 and some choices I was examining re my manual focus 24mm f/2.8 AIS lens and have received good support here. I've run through a few sample images and generally and somewhat superficially tested the new body, including implementing my D700 menu choices where appropriate and setting up the AIS lens in its appropriate menu category.

The only flaw I've found so far, and I'm wondering if it's a fatal one, in my nice under 10K actuation body, is that the battery does not partially "pop out" of the battery chamber when the door is opened. I opened the door to replace the low-charged existing battery, (presumably the owner's legitimate Nikon EN-EL3e) with one of my own fully charged batteries for testing purposes. I found that, to remove the battery, I had to tap fairly firmly on the exterior of the D300 adjacent to the battery compartment. After a couple of experimental taps, the battery slid out about 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch and I was able to easily extract it for recharging.

I can't find in what was a fairly brief look at the Nikon operating manual's any reference to a spring or other mechanism that would propel the battery from the battery chamber with the body held battery door down. I have no idea whether gravity would assist the battery to slip out, at least partially when the body is held in that way.

As I've written, the D300 so far seems just fine in all other operating aspects as far as I've tested. My questions: 1) is there some sort of mechanism other than gravity which should make the battery drop out, at least partially, and 2) is this a fatal flaw that should send me back to the dealer (the D300 is still under the dealer's 60-day warranty)?

Back to Oops! After I posted, I tested my "own" EN-EL3e battery (an extra for my D700) and that battery "pops out" every time, so it must be some sort of anomaly with the battery that was installed in the D300 when I purchased it. Could a battery wear or swell just enough in use or be stored too long in the battery compartment so it wouldn't readily slip out of the compartment?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G