Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D300 - Lens - Losing contact

2pixels_short

Anchorage, US
892 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
2pixels_short Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 16th Oct 2003
Thu 22-Nov-12 08:08 PM

My D300 has recently developed the tendency to lose communication with AF-S and AF-D lenses and default back to the last used Non-CPU lens stored in the menu.

Depending on the last Non-CPU lens, the exposure may be several stops over or under. It can also be fairly close if the Non-CPU lens has a max aperture that matches the AF lens mounted.

If I switch to manual mode from Aperture or Shutter Priority, I can still dial in the exposure fairly close.

If I grasp the lens body and work it back and forth and up and down within the limits of the slop of the mount, I can frequently restore communication for a short while.

This occurs with more than one lens and the lens works perfectly on my D700 so this is pointing me at the D300.

I have wiped the contacts on both the lens and body, removed and reseated the lens only to have the issue return. I just cleaned the body contacts with a Pec Pad and some Eclipse but the pad does not show any discoloration. If the issue persists, I am going to see if I can locate a source for a deoxidizer.

If that don't work, it looks like a vacation at Nikon will be in order.

Anything I missed?

Mike in Alaska

Visit Fortymile Photo

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D300 - Lens - Losing contact