I have tried many newer Nikon DSLRs and still love my D200. I think it produces images that have that subtle tonality and contrast that reminds me of film. I know it may just be personal bias, but I will keep shooting the D200 until it literally falls apart.
For my needs, the limiting factor is definitely me and not the camera.
Here are some images that I think shows why I still love the D200:
Very nice pictures! It's reassuring to read your comments. I just recently bought a used D200 for entry into the DSLR world. I'm glad to see there are those that think it still a good camera capable of meeting their needs.
Couldnt agree more ! I shoot with a D2Xs and D200 to make a living and I like the color and tonality better from these than the current crop of Nikons. 90% of my work is with these the other 10% is with a Sinar Digital Back.
Its great to hear the D200 is still helping professionals produce great work. I visited your website and your portfolio is amazing. I would love to pick your brain sometimes about how you handle the lighting on some of those interior shots.
Thu 23-Aug-12 12:58 AM | edited Thu 23-Aug-12 12:58 AM by Scotty
I shoot professionally with a D200 and love it. I had considered moving to a newer body due to the noise issues at high ISO but we moved to the UAE and the noise issue isn't a problem as it is always sunny! I also love the colour rendition - it is a great camera.
Yes, the D200 is certainly a great camera body. It was a vast improvement to me when I moved up from my 1st D100 DSLR. It remains one of my favorite Nikon DSLR bodies.
This may sound odd to some, but I find it to be one of the most "film-like" cameras with the increasing noise as the ISO increases much like the film cameras and faster films did. It does have excellent color and IQ though at the lower ISO's.
I eventually moved up to a D300 and converted an older D200 body for IR only and it works great for that purpose.
I've considered getting a backup body to my D300, gone back and forth about whether to get a D200 or D300. Am leaning towards a D300 for my familiarity with the D300 as my main (color) body. However, Septembers Photokina is just around the corner with rumors of a Nikon D400 or D600 DSLR release so I'll hold off until then. With either or both DSLR bodies being announced, I'd expect the prices to drop even further on both the D200 & D300 bodies for even better deals. We'll see.....
In the meantime, keep the love alive for the venerable D200!
I still love my D200, too. I have had it since the first day it was released in the US and it works as well today as it did then. I looked at the D300/D300s when they were introduced, but for me there wasn't enough incentive to make me upgrade, and the D7000 is lacking some features I have come to rely on. If a "D400" comes out I will likely upgrade and move my D200 to backup status. But until then I am very happy with the images my D200 delivers. As others have said, the limiting factor in my photography is me, not the camera.
Nice pictures and a great job of handling the post processing. Very nice sharpness and focus control.
I ran across several images last week taken with my D200. I really did like what I saw. We also had a family portrait taken recently for our church directory and that group was using a a very nice fast-through-put sitting to order process. The cameras were D200's and the lenses 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 AFS DX. The results were also excellent.
The D200 is a great camera especially at base ISO. That's another way of saying good light. I've considered getting another one to use with my grandkids - especially on our family outdoor events.
I've always shot a lot in low light, mainly because I don't like strobe. However, after selling the D200 for a camera with better highISO performance, I discovered that I could do a lot to improve my strobe technique. That has extended my usage with nearly any camera that I use, but it would have been a welcome addition to my D200. I wish I would have discovered those techniques sooner.
Thanks for posting
Roger It's still, ISO, aperture and shutter-speed, right?