Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Finally, D300 low light/high ISO results I'm happy with

ArthurNikonF

Worcester, US
405 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
ArthurNikonF Registered since 10th Oct 2011
Thu 03-May-12 03:44 PM

Last night, I photographed a jazz concert at my alma mater, with the D300 and 70-200 f/2.8 VR. As the concert hall was practically pitch black, and the stage lit with stage lighting, I decided to crank up the ISO higher than I have ever safely used before, to ISO3200. But, this time, I took extra precautions to make sure they came out nice. They did. In no way do I represent myself as an "expert", but I think I'm pretty decent-

-Preset manual white balance, using the ExpoDisc. And. I reset it several times throughout the night, as different sets used different lighting schemes.

- I set the ISO NR to "High". I have seen everywhere people saying not to do this. Trust me, it works, very well. And I did not see that dreaded "loss of detail or sharpness".

-I am not one of these "You must shoot in RAW" people, as that seems to be the Popular Photography obsession. I do shoot mostly jpg. So, I set the Picture Control mode to "Neutral".

The lens really bailed me out, as I was able to still get "sharp" images at wide open aperture, and VR to the rescue. And, with these settings, no wonky colors, or color noise.

Thrilled with the results. I am sure others will take issue with my approach here- but for what I wanted, it far exceeded expectations, as the D300 clearly does not have the best low light performance, certainly not compared to today's cameras. I may get some more mileage out of this dinosaur yet.

Please read my blog (Nikon, Hasselblad, AND Polaroid), at www.arthurpolaroid.wordpress.com/ Nikon D300, D40, F Photomic Ftn, FE-2, F3HP, N80, F2S

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Finally, D300 low light/high ISO results I'm happy ...

G