Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

long range AF-assist ir Illuminator

zoom4179

US
1 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
zoom4179 Registered since 30th Dec 2011
Sun 01-Jan-12 01:58 PM

Hello,
I am shooting a d300s and d200 with 200-400mm and 600mm lenses. And, have been doing research on long range ir illuminators. The SU-800 produces a wavelength of 800-1000nm. I have not been able to determine the wavelength of the sb-800 or sb-900 AS-assist illuminators. I purchased a flashlight filter that passed 940nm. It didn't work. I found an old headlight IR filter from a military junkyard and had some success. I want do produce a neat usable package.
Being not stranger to electronics, I tried measuring the signal from the hotshoe during the auto focus. Measured dc, ac, and freq. from each pin to gnd. Was unable to detect any changes. i know there is a place for a locking pin from the flash. Not sure if this is an issue.

Its easy finding Ir illuminators( they are not cheap ) for 200-1000 yards and at many different wavelengths. I have even developed a good way of mounting it and adjusting the x and y axis for alignment.

The problem is, how to trigger it when autofocus is initiated and the ir wavelength needed to activate the AF system.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

P.S. Called nikon tech support. They were no help.

Zoom

G