Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

working around salt water

toomanyhandles

US
32 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
toomanyhandles Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Sep 2009
Tue 19-Apr-11 05:05 PM

Hi all;

I'll be taking a trip to the Florida coast to photo (primarily) invertebrates on the beaches (field biology course), with some boat time.

I haven't had my photo gear near salt water yet, although I've spent quite a lot of time around salt water on the West coast years ago. What should I keep in mind about camera/lens care and maintenance during and after the trip? It is going to be pretty warm and humid.

I'm guessing distilled water on a cloth to wipe things down off and on, since the salt spray will be pretty greasy once dried. I have UV filters in place on all lenses, so the actual optic should not get direct spray.

Given that most of what I'm going to be shooting will be shells and squiggly things (technical term) I at the moment I plan to leave my 35mm or 105mm macro on as much as I can, and not change lenses much. My zoom lenses will breathe though, how big an issue will that be?

I don't have a fancy rain cover but will bring a plastic bag.

Thanks for thoughts on protecting/cleaning-- am I worrying too much? Salt can be a big and destructive pain.

Available gear for this one: D300, 35mm/1.8, 105/2.8 VR micro, 18-200VR, 80-400 F4.5-5.6 VR.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: working around salt water

G