Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

not sharp pictures - high noise at low or moderate ISO - D300

Ziemek

PL
8 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Ziemek Registered since 22nd Apr 2010
Wed 28-Apr-10 03:34 PM

I got my D300 in the kit with standard lens 18-200 VR 2 years ago and never could achieve "crystal clear pictures" as in many reviews stated; found on Internet hints that the lens could be an issue; subsequently I got Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, which despite the initial interface problems (they disappeared after sw update) was a bit better (and definitely faster) than the standard lens under good outdoor light condition, independent of the zoom range; however most of the pictures were not clear sharp; next desperately looking for the ultimate improvement I got Nikkor 17-55 f/2.8 with hope that my problems will go away, unfortunately they still persist and can be summarised as: significant noise at low or moderate ISO (400-800) under day light outdoor or indoor (with or without flesh) conditions, my settings (most of the time): picture control standard (no changes to default settings), WB auto, mode: P (50%), A (25%), S (25%), focus either centre position or 3D, S (portrait) or C (moving elements), the aperture is sometimes > than f11 and the pictures are still not sharp! There is only one scenario when the pictures are sharp (I can see the skin texture) under very strong direct light onto the object (from flesh). I let to see my pictures by other D300 users and they admit they have no such issue; however they cannot help me with a hint. Went to two Nikon authorised centres to find out possible problems, but nothing found (autofocus OK and re-tuned, sw updated – even I got the last version before, sensor cleaned, even not required). Can somebody help to figure out, if I am maybe expecting too much from "extraordinary" D300 or a way to find the problem in my camera?

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: not sharp pictures - high noise at low or moderate ...
                    Reply message Does D300 inherently underexpose?

G