Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Autofocus Doesn't Work at Far Distances

lavie

Lexington, US
62 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
lavie Registered since 27th Feb 2007
Fri 12-Feb-10 06:58 PM | edited Sun 14-Feb-10 01:59 PM by lavie

I have a D300 and a 18-70mm/f3.5-4.5 G ED AF-S lens.

I just noticed that when photographing objects at great distance (distant mountains, etc.), the autofocus won't focus at a very wide angle (from about 24mm to the minimum 18mm). I think this is a new problem. This is true even when photograping a very contrasty subject, such as a dark mountain ridge against a bright sky.

This problem is most severe when the camera is held horizontally (landscape). When the camera is held vertically (portrait), it usually focuses.

Sometimes the lensmakes a bit of noise but doesn't "beep" to indicate focus, and sometimes the lens simply does nothing.

From about 25mm to 70mm, there is no problem - even in low light or when the subject is of low contrast and has no distinct borders.

Is this a lens problem or a camera problem? Would the warranty cover the fix? The lens is from Aug 2006, and the camera is from Mar. 2008.

TIA for any responses. I am generally very satisfied with lens, and this is driving me nuts.

Lavie

Lavie

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Autofocus Doesn't Work at Far Distances

G