Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Suddenly it all came into focus ...

quasifoto

US
232 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
quasifoto Registered since 07th Sep 2008
Thu 07-Jan-10 04:18 PM | edited Thu 07-Jan-10 07:47 PM by quasifoto

After months of complete frustration with the Nikon 24-70 mm lens on my D300 and after having sent both lens and D300 body back to Nikon for expensive repair only to be told they were within spec .. the problem was solved for free in 2 minutes. After lots of suggestions from the helpful folks here and ridicule from some others on Flickr, I finally determined the problem was with the D300 and not the lens. In desperation I called Nikon one last time before giving up and by pure luck, spoke with a nice person named DiAngelo. He said it sounded like a corrupted firmware problem and that I needed to delete all Custom Settings and start over. I said I did the "two green button" default restore before as suggested by other Nikon people and it didn't work. He said that wasn't enough.

The procedure was:

1. Hold down the two green buttons for 3 seconds.

2. Go into the Custom Settings menu (Pencil Icon) and click
Reset Custom Settings.

3. Turn the camera off
Remove the battery
turn switch ON
Hold down the shutter button for 20 seconds
Turn switch OFF
Replace the battery
Turn Camera ON

I knew immediately that AF was working like it did when I first bought the D300. All a matter of staying with it and getting to the right guy .... Suddenly it all came into focus.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Suddenly it all came into focus ...
     Reply message RE: Now D200 AF in detail

G