Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D300 Sub-Dial exposure compensation?

_udo_

Rockwood, CA
200 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
_udo_ Registered since 18th Oct 2007
Sun 06-Dec-09 08:33 PM

I own my D300 since it came out. I just found a new "feature." Hey, I am a fast learner.

I have my D300 set to
1. Aperture priority.
2. Change Main/Sub Dial (f7) to ON
(I mainly use A mode and find the main dial is easier to use when the right hand is in a position to release the shutter.)

I use the main (rear) dial to set the aperture. This works fine.
But when I move the front dial, I do change the exposure time. I am in effect dialling in exposure compensation. The +/- icon appears on the top LCD and the view finder, and the analog exposure bars show the over or under exposure dialled in. Fortunately, after pressing the release button, the "compensation" set in with the sub-dial is reset to zero.

I actually like the method, because it automatically resets exposure compensation every time the shutter is released.

One could actually use this method to make a 2-bracket exposure, by setting compensation before the first shot, and then releasing the shutter twice. The first shot will be the compensated exposure, the second shot will be the as-metered exposure.

I could not find any reference to this use of the sub-dial in the D300 User Guide, my David Busch book, or in a Google search.

Does anybody use this method for exposure compensation?

BTW, this "feature" does not depend on the main and sub dials being reversed, and it also works this way in S mode. Of course, in P mode, the dials adjust exposure time and aperture while keeping the exposure as metered.

Udo
Have a look at My Galleries

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D300 Sub-Dial exposure compensation?

G