Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D300 - What's Going on With Focus?

marks357

NNJ, US
236 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
marks357 Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Jul 2008
Fri 20-Feb-09 09:21 PM

Was at a professional function/meeting yesterday, serving as the organization's 'official' photographer (with my new D300), and I took several pictures of 2 people side by side. This results in the classic case of the center focus point falling in between the 2 people, on the wall behind. No problem. Rather than moving the focus point around with the selector, I prefer to pan to one of the subjects, focus on them by holding the shutter down half-way, then re-composing and shooting -- I just find this method easier/more convenient. Been doing it this way with the D70s and D80 for years with no problems.

Upon reviewing the pictures on the computer, most of the '2 people side by side' shots had the subjects out of focus with -- you guessed it -- the spot on the wall in bewteen/behind them in perfect focus. For some of these shots, the subjects WERE in focus, but most were not (and the wall behind was).

Focus mode set to single-servo AF; Auto Focus-Area Mode set to Dynamic Area AF; both AF-C and AF-S set to focus priority.

So what's going on? Why did the camera re-focus on the back wall after I locked focus (or thought I did) on the subject?

-Mark-

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D300 - What's Going on With Focus?
Reply message RE: D300 - What's Going on With Focus?Stan
          Reply message Confused by this thread...
               Reply message RE: Confused by this thread...
                                        Reply message Focusing method depends upon subject matter
                                             Reply message RE: Focusing method depends upon subject matter
                                             Reply message My assignment is to study this thread
                                             Reply message RE: My assignment is to study this thread

G