Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Lester-Dine / Yuzo Ring Flash with a D200

38Super

US
9 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
38Super Registered since 02nd Oct 2008
Sat 31-Jan-09 04:19 PM | edited Sat 31-Jan-09 04:39 PM by 38Super

In an earlier post I asked if anyone had used the Yuzo DC2814 ring flash with a D200. This is a combination point/ring flash unit identical to the one sold under the Lester-Dine name. Both the Yuzo and Lester-Dine flashes were packaged with macro lenses and various film camera bodies and sold to dentists by specialty dental supply houses. My concern was the trigger voltage and compatibility with the Nikon electronics.

Testing showed a voltage of 4.16 with the center pin positive. Everything I've read led me to believe that would be safe, so I went ahead and mounted the flash.

With the flash charged and mounted on the D200, the camera's shutter was locked. I read somewhere that older Nikon TTL flashes had to be set to non-TTL mode or the shutter would lock. I tried shutting the flash "OFF" after charging and it fired - turn the flash back "ON" and nothing. I tried changing every setting on the flash and came to the conclusion that this particular flash won't work with the D200 regardless of flash settings.

Since the TTL function of older Nikon flashes caused problems and there is aparently no way to de-select TTL on the flash, I ended up covering all but the center pin on the flash unit hot shoe mount with a piece of transparent tape. It now works fine as a manual unit.

I just thought I'd throw this out in case anyone else is dealing with a similar problem.

G