Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
_udo_

Rockwood, CA
200 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
_udo_ Registered since 18th Oct 2007
Fri 17-Oct-08 03:03 AM | edited Fri 17-Oct-08 04:41 AM by Paul_Fisher

Please excuse the long post.

I am about ready to buy a GPS unit to tag the images I take with my D300. After reading a lot of what others have said about GPS for photos, I am no longer certain if I should get a GPS unit, which connects to the camera and tags the images as I shoot, or a GPS unit that records a timed location record, which I then will use to tag my photos.

Assume for the moment that the price of the GPS unit is not a decision factor. Here are the pro and cons as I see them:

Tag-photos-as-you-shoot
-----------------------------
Pros:
(1) No need to do any computer processing to get the GPS data into the photos .

Cons
(1) GPS will reduce the number of pictures I can take with one battery charge.
(2) From what I read, an image may not get tagged, because it is not obvious when looking in the view finder to take a picture if the GPS unit has a lock.
(3) Another item to have in the flash shoe, or another tethered cable from the camera to the GPS on my camera strap.
(4) Using a cable release, which I use most of the time, adds to the cable set-up.
(2) Difficult to plot the travel route I took from the GPS data in the images.

Create-GPS-data-file-and-sycronise-GPS-data-to-images
------------------------------------------------------------------
Pros
(1) Unit runs on its own battery. No affect on camera battery.
(2) Extremely simple operation: Turn GPS tracker on in morning, turn it off in the evening. (A GPS tracker that powers down when not moving, would be the one to get.)
(3) Even if the GPS is not locked when taking a picture, there likely will be a tracking point near to the photo location, which can be used to get the approximate photo location. (I will be quite happy to know the village or street where I took the photo.)
(4) The DPS data file gives me a record of my travel movements, not just a photo location record. A nice feature to have.
(5) Nothing to connect to the camera. Flash shoe is free. 10-pin connector is free.
(6) No connecting and disconnecting to and from the 10-pin connector. This will reduce wear and tear on the 10-pin connector on the camera.
(7) I would only tag the keepers, which is maybe 2% of the images captured. This will make the tagging process less onerous.

Cons
(1) Another battery charger or a supply of alkaline batteries to carry around. (For a three week photo trip, 20 alkaline batteries will be heavier than a battery charger. I would buy a GPS tracker with a rechargeable battery.)
(2) The extra step to synchronise the GPS track to the keeper images. (Not a big detractor for me. The time spend to tag the image with the GPS data will be much less then the time I will spend processing the image. BTW, I will try to create a Photoshop plug-in to grab the GPS data for the image open in Photoshop and insert the GPS data into the image’s EXIF.)

Assuming nobody can find a serious flaw in my comparison, I intent to get a GPS tracker, probably the GiSTEP Bluetooth Photo Tracker.

I appreciate that much of the above analysis is based on my personal preferences. Other photographers may place different values on the pro and cons. But, have I missed something to be considered?

Udo
Just updated my galleries with D300 images from my trip to France.
My Galleries

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: GPS questions