Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Major D300 Problems . . . )-: Missed photo ops on Vacation

mattyg

US
28 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
mattyg Registered since 15th Apr 2008
Wed 09-Jul-08 02:40 AM

First of all, I'm sending the camera in to Nikon because there's nothing I can do with it. I just want to post for posterity and see if anyone has had a similar experience.

I purchased a new D300 in April with the goal of learning it and taking it on vacation in Belize in July. My first few months with the camera were sweet. A bit of a learning curve and I was doing fine.

The camera came along on a two week trip to Belize in a Fastpack 250 which I modified for my tastes (added a chest strap) so it was quite secure and safe. Took some nice flora & fauna shots going down the New River and a couple good ones at Lamanai, an ancient Mayan ruins. It never saw water, dust or any drop of any kind. The only thing it got was humid which I would assume a camera of this caliber can take.

On the 5th day of the trip I set up to do some night photograpy on a tripod. I couln't see the readout on top but the camera seemed 'slow'. I found out later that it was intermittently powering off. Without being touched or moved, with or without a lens, the camera turned off then back on, then off. Then it would stay off permanently - regardless of battery charge. It seemed to function for a few seconds right after a freshly charged battery but eventually it would die. I did not recieve any 'low battery' warnings and it didn't appear to have anything to do with what lens was mounted.

So, all in all I missed a week and a half of photos. Very, very bummed.

Got back and called the Nikon service center and was advised to update my firmware. Kinda hard to update the firmware when the camera won't even turn on. I was able to get the camera on for a few minutes and get the V1.03A firmware updated successfully. During the loading of V1.03B the camera shut off. The camera is now continuously flashing the CF light.

Ug. I guess we'll see what the techs can do with it. Hope no one else has experienced this.

Matt

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Major D300 Problems . . . )-: Missed photo ops on V...
                                   Reply message Well, it's back. . .and it's still not working right )-...
                    Reply message RE: Can you be more specific?

G