Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Suggestions for portrait settings using d200 w/ 50 mm f1.8 and sb800 w/ lightsphere

abucu

US
11 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
abucu Registered since 16th Jul 2007
Tue 24-Jun-08 02:57 AM

Hello!

Seeking in camera and flash settings suggestions for portraiture outdoors and/or indoors with the d200 with 50mm f1.8 and sb800 flash with gary fong lightsphere. I had been going over postings with a search using "d200 and portrait" and I found mostly equipment (ie lens) suggestions. I didn't find enough camera settings in particular like autofocus and custom settings for tone, etc.

Presently, I have the following settings:

RAW
ISO 100

Custom optimize Image:
+1 sharpening
less contrast tone compensation
color mode II (adobe sRGB)
0 hue adjustment

Autofocus on wideframe at pattern 1 group dynamic and focus priorities for both AF-C and AF-S. Any thoughts on closest object setting?

I have whibal gray card for white balance adjustment during processing.

I plan to set aperture at f2.8 for the 50 mm f1.8. Other suggestions are most welcome (since I have little time to experiment). I like the blurred background effect but am concerned with insuring enough depth of field for the face.

The sb800 is set at automatic ttl balanced fill flash and front curtain.

I plan to take pictures during midafternoon to early evening hours before sundown with the camera hand held.

All responses will be greatly appreciated.

Arne

G