Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Another D300 with the false "depleted battery" error

sjd996

US
457 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
sjd996 Registered since 29th Jan 2008
Sat 12-Apr-08 09:45 PM

Add another person to the list experiening the false "battery depleted" problem.

I have ~15k exposures on the D300. Most are with the 200-400VR. Up until today, no problems.

3 Weeks ago, I put almost 4,000 exposures on this camera with this lense at an airshow. The camera hasn't been used since then, and the lense hasn't been removed.

Today went to another airshow - after ~800 exposures, hit this exact problem - camera wouldn't take a picture, indicator flashing showing battery was dead (this actually happened as I zoomed out - there is a tiny bit of play in the mount, so zooming may have moved the camera in the mount). Turned the camera on/off, started working fine again, but by then I'd missed the shot I wanted. This happened twice more within the next 100 exposures, both times missing shots I wanted. At this point I abandonded the D300, put the D200 on the back of the lense, which performed flawlessly for the rest of the day.

And as a side note, I'd fogotten how much better the AF on the D300 is than the D200, and how much faster the D300 writes to the CF card - hadn't used this lens on the D200 since last year, the difference between the two is bigger than I remembered.

However the bottom line is the D200 reliably allowed me to capture the shots I wanted... my 4 month old D300 didn't.

Anyone got any useful response from Nikon on this problem yet?

Steve Denton

Rate Photo Stuff | DSLR Database | Travel Blog

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Another D300 with the false "depleted battery" erro...
     Reply message RE: Another D200 with the false "depleted battery" erro...
Reply message RE: Solutions
Reply message RE: Adding to my earlier reply
Reply message RE: Adding to my earlier reply
     Reply message RE: Adding to my earlier reply - feedback
Reply message RE: false "depleted battery" error after only 200 frame...
                              Reply message RE: Sorry but
                                   Reply message RE: Sorry but
                                        Reply message RE: No need for apologies
                                             Reply message RE: No need for apologies
               Reply message RE: Clarifications
                    Reply message RE: Back to basics - I am guessing you are wrong
                         Reply message RE:Like I said
                         Reply message RE:Like I said
                         Reply message RE: Experiences and sometimes memories differ
                                                  Reply message RE: People who need people are the luckiest people, yad...
          Reply message RE: Nikon to the best of my knowledge are doing no such...
                                             Reply message RE: Lens "Poll" Statements
          Reply message Re: The Little Papaer Trick
               Reply message RE: Re: The Little Papaer Trick

G