Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D300 Problems Mostly Smoke & Mirrors?

This topic is locked. This message is locked.
spiritualized67

Western PA, US
3288 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
spiritualized67 Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, most notably in Street & Landscape Photography Nikonian since 01st Mar 2007
Thu 27-Mar-08 07:52 PM

OK, maybe it's a conspiracy theory on my part...but why do all these "My D300 is broken/won't focus/has a blinking or dead battery" posts/responses always seem to come from people who just joined and/or only have a handful of posts? They wouldn't happen to be Canon trolls? Or better still, maybe they are employees at DeoxIT?

That's not to say that there aren't legitimate and long-time contributing Nikonian members posting actual issues. I would be foolish to think otherwise. After all, no product is perfect, and we can always expect some degree of imperfection--especially early on in any production manufacturing cycle (and also given the rapid rate at which camera manufactures are churning out new products).

I would be lying if I didn't say that all these D300 posts are making me somewhat paranoid. I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop with my D300 / 70-200mm TC 1.4 combo--which has performed admirably so far. Of course, I don't have 5,000 actuations yet--so I'm fully expecting my camera to self-destruct or implode at 5,001...poof...$1,800 down the drain...sorry, your warranty has expired (LOL).

A few weeks ago, I conducted a poll on Nikonians that I thought was telling. Out of almost 200 respondents (when asked whether they were experiencing any D300 reliability issues), approx. 85% said the camera works flawlessly, 6% reported very minor glitches, 4.5% said they had serious problems, and around 4.5% said it was too early to make a judgment. I felt pretty good about my purchase when I read this. But a lot can happen over a few short weeks.

The other day, I was actually one click away from ordering DeoxIT for my camera before I stopped myself and said....what the heck are you doing, the camera doesn't even have a problem. But that's not to say that I should altogether avoid keeping things clean with some rubbing alcohol once in a while. Do I really want to start putting contact cleaner near my expensive optics? At least rubbing alcohol does not leave a residue. I think not...well at least not yet.

Seriously, it just seems like every time I read something negative about the D300, more times than not it's from a newbie. At least that's my perception.

For those members who have been around a while, I wonder if the same type of mass hysteria happened when the D200 came to the market? I don't know what to believe any more. If I worked for Canon, this type of stealth viral marketing could be a very effective tactic to cast doubt on potential Nikon consumers. Think about it, it's a viable strategy to feed the market with negativity and inflated claims of problematic cameras. Of course, that would be pretty underhanded and probably unlikely. But in these "internet gone wild" days, I suppose anything is possible.

In the mean time, I'll keep clicking until I start seeing the real smoke, not just the reflection.

-Dan

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D300 Problems Mostly Smoke & Mirrors?
Reply message Surely Dan
Reply message RE: Surely Dan
Reply message RE: Surely Dan
Reply message What have you been smoking Dan?
Reply message RE: What have you been smoking Dan?
Reply message RE: What have you been smoking Dan?
Reply message Hello Carol
Reply message RE: Jim Fenton
     Reply message Hello Ivan
                    Reply message But Brian...
                         Reply message RE: But Brian...
                         Reply message RE: But Brian...

G