Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Is upgrade for D300 AF worth it?

ZinMe

US
13 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
ZinMe Registered since 27th Mar 2008
Thu 27-Mar-08 04:17 PM | edited Thu 27-Mar-08 07:32 PM by ZinMe

I have been using a D80 for a year, and like the camera for general photography, however, I have started doing a lot of sports photography of my kid's teams, and I'm finding that my keeper rate is too low mostly due to AF problems. The most common problem is focus on an area / object behind the desired object, as if it is updated the focus too slowly for the movement of the player or perhaps selecting a focus point that is behind the player.

I understand the benefits of better LCD, higher ISO performance, frame rate etc.. because they are very tangible improvements on the D300. The AF capabilities sound good on paper, but I'm very skeptical of AF claims because in my opinion AF is a very difficult thing to get right.

I would be very interested in forum comments on the real-life AF performance of the D300 for sports. How does it handle team sports with clusters of players, can it adjust fast enough when players are moving directly towards or away from the camera in addition to side to side? How well does it track player movements? what settings have worked best for sports like lacrosse, soccer, basketball and baseball?

Sorry for all the quesitons, but the net upgrade cost would be about $1,100 after selling the D80. I could also upgrade to a D200 for a net cost of only $400--- would the D200 AF improvements vs. a D80 be worth the upgrade? From what I've read, I'm not sure.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Is upgrade for D300 AF worth it?
Reply message RE: A D300 could certainly help
Reply message RE: A D300 could certainly help

G