Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Zone System beginner

RDCD

London, UK
5 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
RDCD Registered since 15th Nov 2006
Fri 28-Dec-07 02:06 PM

I've read a book on the zone system and have experimented a bit with my D200 but there are a few things still puzzling me, hence the post. It's more about the set up when you're meant to obtain what the camera thinks is the right value (The normal exposure) I realise there are a lot of equivalent values, i.e. (f/4 1/500) is the same as (f/5.6 at 1/250) but I'm struggling with which to use, do you base it on the effect you want? i.e. if depth of field is what you need to control then set the aperture to the desired setting and adjust the shutter speed until normal exposure is reached? Then in that case how much different is there between f/4 and f/5.6 with the final "look" of the photo, or is it all down to personal preference.

Currently I'm setting the aperture (I feel most comfortable with this) then setting the shutter speed to the value that gives "normal exposure" then I'm applying the zone system technique. Is that the correct way to do it? Sometimes I find myself floundering with both aperture and shutter speed not really sure which I should change to reach normal exposure. Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Zone System beginner
Reply message RE: The Zone System is history