Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Problem with D200 focus

BioHazard

US
20 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
BioHazard Registered since 03rd May 2006
Sat 22-Dec-07 08:41 PM

Hey all,

I bought my D200 about 18 months ago and have really enjoyed it. This summer on a trip to Colorado, it appeared that the camera was giving me fairly 'soft' images. After closer inspection, it looks like it is focusing slightly behind the intended subject. For instance, if I am taking a picture of my kids in front of a brick wall, the kids are slightly out of focus, but the wall is crisp as can be.

First, how likely is it that I have knocked my camera and/or lens out of focus?
Second, how exactly do I test this to be sure it is happening and isn't just me (especially, testing it with different lenses). I don't really want to be without my camera for weeks/months while Nikon fixes it, if the problem is simply that I take poor pictures?
Third, can someone give a ballpark of what the price will be to fix something like this?

Thanks for any help.

As a point of reference or to help determine good tests, the lenses I have are:
Nikon 1.8 50m
Tamron 28-75 2.8 Macro (this is my standard lens and the one I find to be focusing slightly 'off' now - it appeared to be crystal clear when going to Prague a year ago).
Sigma 10-20

Thanks,
-Scott

There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.

There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots

G