Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

(A) or (S) Mode in Conjunction with Auto ISO

srosenfeld

Highland Park, US
4 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
srosenfeld Registered since 31st Oct 2007
Thu 08-Nov-07 06:37 PM

I have never used Auto ISO mode on the D200 because I typically want to know all of the settings (shutter-speed/f-stop/ISO) when I take a picture. However, I am taking more action shots in changing light conditions where Auto ISO may be useful. What I don't understand is the prioritization of the ISO change. For example, in (S) mode, if I choose a shutter speed of 1/500 and am using my 17-55 2.8 lens, will it use the lowest ISO (i.e., 100) and reduce the dof all the way down to 2.8, or will it choose a more optimal dof for the lens (e.g., f8) and increase the ISO accordingly. Then, say it selects ISO 200 and f4 for one shot, will the next picture default to ISO 200 or will it again try to optimize for ISO100? You can see I am a bit confused, and the manual doesn't help much. I just want to know whether shooting Auto ISO means that you tend to be at the fringes of your dof if you are shooting in (S) mode.

Thanks for your assistance.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: (A) or (S) Mode in Conjunction with Auto ISO

G