Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Why I'm going to buy a D2H

Mike777

Stoke on Trent, UK
405 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Mike777 Registered since 16th Sep 2002
Tue 22-Jul-03 02:39 PM

Over the last week or so since the news was leaked I took an interst in the D2H but like many others I thought it wasn't for me, I'm waiting for the D2X.

I love my D100 and the only area that I find limiting is its speed. AF, fps, buffer etc.

Of course at 6.1mp the D100 produces great images but, the workflow is cumbersome.

Actually, I shoot more and more jpeg in situations where I know that I don't need max image quality. Truthfully, I have shot the same scene in jpeg and in NEF and done an A3 print from both. If there is a difference I cannot see it, even with a loupe.

Now that I've had time to think about it some more, I realise that a smaller NEF file would be better not worse. The ability to capture a NEF and a jpeg would be heaven. The big question is, once you have captured an image at a certain resolution you can make it smaller but not bigger in terms of file size. Does it really matter? Not for weddings or newspapers or prints (that everybody wants) or for web images or sports etc. I have not sold an image ever that was needed for a double page spread in a magazine.

So two things that would move to the next level for me in digital photography are speed and improved workflow.

D2H

8fps, 40 image buffer, 11 af points, group dynamic af, extreme focus detection, 2000 cam motor, instant start up. I don't see it could get any better than that and it is a significant improvement over the D1H let alone the D100.

Smaller NEF's, NEF+JPeg, portrait orientation, USB2.0, 2+GB flash cardn support, wireless transfer if needed (ideal for field work), voice annotation (which I do use on my D100).

Add to this all the other improvements such as a proper kelvin scale, a proper wireless flash system, pro body, 2.5inch LCD, 100% viewfinder, 1005 matrix metering, battery monitoring system ++

There is no point in waiting for a D1X because the only thing it could possibly have over this camera is a higher mp sensor and I don't want that. If I need a bigger file, I'll use the D100 and if thats not enough then I'll use my F65 with slide film and get it scanned into a 100MB monster.

The only thing that I omitted that I can think of is flash sync of 1/250 although much quicker than the D100, the D1X will likely be faster. I can live without it.

All in all, it is getting difficult to imagine how the D3 range will be able to make any significant leap for a good number of years. I think Nikon are very very smart in that they really understand the way forwrd in digital photography which is why the D2H is out before the D2X. There is a demand for a D2X but as users get over their mp mania, the D2H will, IMHO, be the volume seller.

That's where I'm at.

Cheers

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G