Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Why isn't anybody talking/saving EPS instead of TIF?

gejepe

Santiago, CL
639 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
gejepe Registered since 27th Jun 2003
Thu 10-Jul-03 04:21 AM

For me EPS is the format of choice for saving my pics. Crossplatform, slim and lossless...

I can't get it through my head why everybody keeps saving tiffs... Nikon editor saves them even without lossless LZW compression, filling up harddisks faster than Microsoft software.

I always have done a lot of pre press, and am thus very familiar with the Mac platform. For many years now, EPS has been the image file format of choice in pre press and Mac.
Even though the format has its minor restrictions on the PC, the advantages outweigh its limitations by far.
The only important workflow measure one has to take, is to save low-res thumbnails to facilitate browsing, since the EPS format does not pre visualize and import very well on the PC, as opposed to extremely well on the Mac.

An example: I took a 17,1 Mb. TIF, generated from a RAW by Nikon Editor. First I saved it as a TIF with LZW compression. The resulting file now weighted 8,3 Mb.; a 50% weightloss without loosing quality (promise!!).
And then now, Ladies and Gentlemen!: the real weight watchers trick. I took the same 17,1 Mb. TIF, and saved it as EPS. The resulting file: 1.7 Mb. You wouldn't want your girlfriend (or boyfriend, sorry ladies) to lose weight that fast!

SETTINGS:
Save as: Photoshop EPS; preview: TIFF (8 bits/pixel); encoding JPEG (maximum quality).
Note: this JPEG encoding, however an EPS (Encapsulated Post Script) is *NOT, NOT* a JPEG, and its compression *IS, IS* lossless.

My suggestion: try it, you'll love it; even if it were only because you won't have to go out and get a new harddisk any time soon...

Let me know what you think.
Gerard

From the "Editor":
Just for clearness... This is the way I go on the PC, since it does not support Binary. On the Mac you would choose Binary compression, but I'm not sure you get the same dramatic weightloss. Maybe some Apple fans care to comment on that.

BTW.: I agree that there is no such thing as win-win, this format is supposed to be lossless, but I guess that mathematically speaking it is not.

"Always question authority: you might invent something..."
http://gallery.gerardprins.com

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Why isn't anybody talking/saving EPS instead of TIF