Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D1H + AF VR Nikkor 80-400 = no autofocus

RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US
3373 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter Member
Wed 17-Jul-02 06:20 AM

I purchased a new Nikkor last week for my D1H the VR 80-400 will not auto focus. It works perfectly in manual, but when the ring is set to A or L it will not autofocus. After cleaning the lens and camera contacts, I called Nikon and then B&H they both said "dead lens" so I sent for a replacement.
When the replacement came I tried it on both of my D1Hs, same thing. So I got out my old back up D1 and my Kodak 760. The lens works perfectly on both.
Has any D1H users had similar results or success? Am I missing some special menue settings? I have tried continuous and single servo, Aperture and Shutter priority, Dynamic and Spot metering all without effecting the autofocus of this lens. I have used at least one dozen other AF lens without these problems on the D1H including a 50-500 Sigma and 24-200 Tokina.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G