Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Adjusting Monitor Brightness on D4s

Mike in FL

Jacksonville, US
581 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Mike in FL Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Apr 2008
Tue 22-Apr-14 11:28 AM

The D4s manual has information on adjusting the monitor brightness on p. 359. Additional information for adjusting the monitor brightness is contained on p. 57, but that's only for use in live view.

I've had a strange problem with my monitor brightness. When shooting my first event with the D4s, an outdoor event in bright sunlight, everything appeared to be underexposed. When I checked monitor brightness, it was set to manual, with an adjustment of "0". I would not have expected that as a default, and didn't put it there myself. Whatever the case, I switched to automatic and everything appeared to be much brighter. When I got home I saw that everything was correctly exposed, and so considered the "problem" solved.

A few days ago I was shooting in my home, and once again things seemed to be underexposed. While I wasn't shooting gray cards, none of this was "white cat on a white blanket" subject matter, and the shots should not have fooled the meter. When I loaded the files onto the computer everything was well exposed, and noticeably brighter than the camera monitor showed. I checked the brightness setting, which had dutifully stayed on automatic, just as I had set it. The only way to get the monitor and computer to match was to return the monitor brightness to manual--with a zero adjustment, just as it had been before at my outdoor event.

This is completely repeatable. I'm being careful to not cover the ambient light sensor (item 16 in the diagram on p. 5 of the manual). To get the monitor to show the correct brightness when I'm outside I have to use automatic; when I'm inside I have to use manual. In all cases--judging from the computer monitor--the images are correctly exposed.

Does anyone have a clue as to what is going on here? I've never had something like this on my D300, D700, or D800. Thanks.

Mike

www.MikeHollandPhotography.com

www.mikesMSphotos.com

G