Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

A backup to the D4: D4 vs D800 vs Df vs D610

rdphoto

US
196 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
rdphoto Registered since 15th Oct 2009
Wed 09-Apr-14 04:57 PM | edited Wed 09-Apr-14 04:57 PM by rdphoto

So here's where I'm at. 90% of my work is wedding work. I was using my D4 and my D700 as a second body but decided on selling the D700. I was finding that the photos from the 700 just looked like garbage compared to my work from the D4, and needed much more work in post. So that leaves me needing a second camera. I want to get a second body that's going to get me pretty close to what photos my D4 takes in an effort to streamline my post production and work a little smarter.

I was debating on getting a 2nd D4, because that would make the most sense, but I'm wondering if 2 D4's are overkill. I like the Df and what it can do, especially since I only shoot primes, but the lack of a grip concerns me. I'm almost 6'5" and having a smaller camera with no grip isn't always comfortable. However, I could see myself bonding with that camera and being a little more creative with it. I'm not worried about the lack of an AF assist beam, but the whole SD card thing is a bit of a bummer. Also, a single card slot doesn't bother me.

The D610 felt too cheap in my hands, but it's a great camera and it's a great price point.

The D800 is another great camera, but I think that shooting with the D800's file sizes isn't realistic for weddings.

Any thoughts on the matter? It's not that I can't afford to get another D4, it's that since I already have that camera, I'd rather be able to save a few bucks on a second and third camera body if the quality can get me close.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: A backup to the D4: D4 vs D800 vs Df vs D610