Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Quality Judgement in Digitals

VidCam

US
52 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
VidCam Registered since 10th Jul 2002
Sat 13-Jul-02 01:01 PM

I consider myself a professional photographer and never judge other photographers/or beginners with the quality of their work. This is in reference to what type of camera they are able to purchase and use.
As a pro (just to define myself), in digital photography, I first started with 2 small Olympus Cameras. Saved a bit of money, stepped up to a Sony DSC-D700 for the 1.5 meg capability and most of all the wide shot capability. Further, the manual control to me was very important. Finally, after a couple years experience with those and money saved up, I went to what I wanted in the first place, Nikon Digital D1X and several lenses. There is no comparison in quality from my first ventures. I judge quality only of myself being I was always a Nikon Film user through the years. If I were to place some of my original camera shots in any of these posts, some would laugh and say, "hmmm a pro and no quality". What is important to me about other photographers is content, and composition and their desire to be critiqued and not critisized. I recall when I started in the news, I was blasted and a nervous wreck thinking I wouldn't make the grade.
It was the people that "critiqued" me, not critisize..... In other words, constructive. I wish to convey that to new venturers in digital or just photography. Pay no attention to the quality of the camera you have to work with due to affordability. Don't feel backword in putting your work next to 5-10k cameras or so called pro photographers. They can afford to go for more quality and you will too in due time. As a news photographer, one gets into many different types of situations, I have. I was hired to teach photography in an Art Institue with a state teaching certificate. I replaced a Master Photographer who was unbelievable in Studio Portraits and would put me to shame but he was not a good all around teacher that the students and school wanted and needed. I am not a professional teacher in my own eyes but, have enough experience to teach to a newbie level for what they want.
If you are a newbie and are not satisfied totally with some of your work, don't show it. Be very strict with yourself and don't just be amazed with what the digital will do, critique your own work...."be the best you can be". Pick what you believe is your very best no matter what your camera quality capability is.
A new photographer started started with us years ago and he went through the same thing I did. he was a newbie to news photography and had much learning to do as I did. Behold, he went to kent State and shot Pulitzer pictures being he was in the right place at the right time. This friend and co-worker was John Filo. Also coming out of our newspaper was another Pulitzer, Eddie Adams. Both lived close to me and i knew them well.
What I'm saying here in total, they started from nothing and look where they went !
You can do it too !
Syl Z.
Excuse any typo's...I didn't proof read !

G