Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4955 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006
Mon 10-Feb-14 04:42 AM

I haven't had occasion to use D4 ISO 25,600 in the past, but did so recently as I was presented with the spectacle and challenge of performer Fatoumata Diawara who can really move in the dark! What a treat to shoot this performance.

I must say I was surprised by the decent quality of the 25-6 images as well as the various 9,000; 10,000; 11,400; 12,800; 17,920 and 20,480 that Auto-ISO served up. These are 25-6 images post-processed in Capture NX2 with some selective NR and selective sharpening but I didn't spend *all that much time* on them.

The latter of the two images is actually pushed a third of a stop in post so it comes out at some number around 30,000 ISO This image killed two birds with one stone as this venue is always interested in me capturing performer plus audience, which in most instances is quite difficult as they don't want me using flash. But 25-6 is able to pick up the stage light wash onto the foreground crowd members, so that was a win-win.

Definitely at 25,600 I start to lose highlights, as you would expect and can see in these examples, so it's still a delicate situation once you get above the rated ISO of 12,800, but noise and detail stays really quite well in control.

Lesson learned for me is that I don't have to be quite as conservative, if I need to jump above my normal max of ISO 8000. ISO 8000 on the D4 is so buttery smooth I can use it without any concern and therefore this is basically a dream camera for these types of shoots. Have had it 22 months now and I still really like this camera!

I'm unlikely to get a D4S, but if that camera can improve on the above it is going to be stellar!

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

Click on image to view larger version

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Let'er Rip @ 25-6