Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

EN-EL18 Complete Power Drain?

KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4971 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006
Wed 29-Jan-14 01:03 AM

On your D4 or MB-D12 equipped with EN-EL18 has anyone experienced a complete battery drain on their EN-EL18 to the point where the top LCD had no information displayed and the power on switch had no effect whatsoever?

In my 7 years of Nikon DSLR ownership I can never recall a battery go down to a level where the top LCD did not have information on it. Gave me quite a scare. I placed my spare battery in the D4 and all appears normal now and I am recharging and calibrating the drained battery. I'm reasonably sure this battery was registering top battery life and did not indicate it needed calibrating prior to my last shoot. On Sunday I used the existing battery which was registering somewhere in the 60-80% levels and I took 766 photos and all was well. I didn't check battery level after my shoot on Sunday. I just pulled the camera out two days later to get ready for a shoot tomorrow and switchover and charge the battery per my normal routine and got quite a scare. I try to use a good routine of alternating battery usage so the load is spread evenly across my two EN-EL18.

To be fair my D4 went through probably 4 weeks of non-usage prior to Sunday's shoot so it hadn't been getting it's normal use and recharges as I have been busy at my day-job. So I'd say that battery had not been recharged in 4 weeks.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: EN-EL18 Complete Power Drain?

G