Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Date Code on EN-EL4a and "Charge Life" Experience

nrothschild

US
10916 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
nrothschild Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Registered since 25th Jul 2004
Tue 28-Jan-14 07:17 PM | edited Tue 28-Jan-14 07:28 PM by nrothschild

In October 2012 I bought a new EN-EL4a from B&H. Sometime last year (2013), and (edit:NOT)terribly late in the year, the charge life dropped from 0 to 1.

I'm using the battery in a D300/D700 MBD10 grip but I'm posting here since this is where most of these batteries are probably used (most MB-D10 owners probably use AA's).

I have had 4 EN-EL3a batteries, in D200/D300/D700 bodies and even the original D200 battery still has a charge life of 0. Similarly, the original and extra EN-EL4 I bought for my D2h retained a charge life of 0 for at least 4 years, per my vague recollection. But once they went from 0 to 1, they incremented much quicker (and now are near death).

This makes me wonder if I got a 3-5 year old battery. And it occurs to me that we don't know when production stopped, but we all know these batteries have a limited shelf life (and are not cheap!).

That leads to two questions:

1. Is there a date code on the EN-EL4a? I've looked but cannot locate one. Maybe someone has better eyes

2. I'd be interested in experiences (good or bad) of anyone who has bought an EN-EL4a since about mid 2012 or so. What is your charge life now?

Edit: this EN-EL4a also constantly demands a recal, a problem I never had with the old EN-EL4's until they were quite aged.

my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Date Code on EN-EL4a and "Charge Life" Experience

G