Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
M_Jackson

Jackson, US
747 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
M_Jackson Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005
Tue 14-Jan-14 11:00 PM

Today, I was set up waiting for some Cedar Waxwings to show up to feed on Mountain Ash berries. During a lag time, I did a test I had always wanted to try.

I set the camera to Small JPG which would have automatically taken it out of 14 bit mode, then held the shutter down for three or four seconds.

Click on image to view larger version

I have my Lightroom Import preset set to change the file names to a sequence of Year-Month-Day-Hour-Minute-Second-SubSecond.

This image's file name has the sub-second highlighted in yellow showing it captured 10 frames in the one second as I have it set up in the menus. (10 FPS so it still focuses between shots)

When I shoot normally, I have my D4 set to 14 bit RAW. I don't recall ever seeing sub-second numbers over maybe 7 and not that many 5 and higher. I thought I read the D4 could still shoot a 10 FPS while in 14 bit RAW? Is there a chart or page in the manual explaining the loss of FPS while in these settings? On my old D300 bodies, there was a severe penalty for shooting in 14 bit...like going from 7 FPS to 2 or 3 FPS.

You can see in the file info in the screen capture, I was shooting at high shutter speeds. In the D300, I recall needing to be at least shooting a 1/250th of a second to get the maximum FPS, too.

FWIW, the berry shot above was taken with CF, single point.

Just asking?

Mike Jackson

Attachment#1 (jpg file)

M. Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY

Blog: www.bestofthetetons.com
Web Site: www.tetonimages.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: FPS Test on a D4