Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D3X/D700 owners - Question?

billybunter

AU
7 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
billybunter Registered since 30th Oct 2013
Sat 09-Nov-13 08:34 AM

I had a mint D3x earlier this year that I picked up at my local camera shop. I did some tests against my D700 and found that it was beautiful at base ISO, but anything over about 800 ISO, I was starting to notice noise. That was totally contrary to my D700 - I can shoot that right up to 2500-3200. I travel Asia for months of every year getting pic's for my website, so with the D3x being heavier than the 700, and not as good in the high ISO dep (I shoot a lot in dark Temples in Asia), I foolishly sold the D3x.

I am shortly going to Laos for 2 months and will be taking the D700 with my new 70-200 AFS F4 (beautiful lens), and my trusty X100. What I am considering then is a landscape camera for some of the beautiful desert sunsets and salt-lake vistas that we have in and around the desert town that I live in - in Western Australia.

My question is for the folks who own both of these cameras - do you notice much of a difference (at base ISO), in the depth and quality of pic's taken on these two cameras? I am considering buying another D3x (if I can find one - quite scarce here in Auss), as my around home/Australia landscape camera. Unfortunately I only kept the D3x for a few weeks after purchase this year, then sold it off. I really didn't do a lot of testing with landscape photography (not my preferred subject, but better than no photography between trips away), hence my question to those who have both of these. I do remember though that the W/B and metering was much better than on my D700.

To summarise - is there lots of difference between these two cam's for landscape that it would be worth the money to purchase a D3x, or are they so close that one should shoot landscapes with the D700?

I have no desire to buy a D800/600 for landscape, to me the '3' series are far better cameras and still just as good 5 years later. I would much rather pay more than a new D800 price for a used D3X.

Thanks in advance.

Philip
philipsuttonphotography.com

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D3X/D700 owners - Question?

G