Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
dspvisuals

US
66 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
dspvisuals Registered since 24th Apr 2013
Sat 12-Oct-13 02:40 PM

I shoot with a D4/200mm 2.0; Focus Tracking.
Originally I was shooting with a TC 1.4 III and had mediocre results. It might be the crappy low-light high school fields? So I dropped using the teleconverter and started getting better results, most noticeably quicker focusing. I started getting better results. I then turned off all the extraneous settings inside, e.g. long exposure noise reduction, vignetting, etc... everything I could find. Then changed focus points from 51 to 11. I got better results.

But the results I got last night are super frustrating. I have opened up a case w/ Nikon to see if this can be resolved, but if not then the big debate of whether to keep dealing w/ the unknown of whether the shot will be in focus or not.

The series of shots here show that the first two frames are in focus, the next two fall out of focus and then the following two regain focus. These were shot on Continuous High, at 9:37:41:30-9:37:41:80. The red square is from Nikon's ViewNX2, displaying where the focus point is, and if it is in focus. The middle two images show not red square, not in focus.

If anyone has any experience with this type of issue and can resolve this, or is it an issue and cannot be fixed?

Here is a link to the gallery showing the problem: The resolution affects the look here- these are screen shots from Nikon's ViewNX2 software to show the red focus square.
http://dougstroudphotography.com/#/page/c050/nikon-focus/

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D4 Losing Focus

G