Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Serious advice needed here, my friends - the D3s is malfunctioning.

luxbritannia

US
60 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
luxbritannia Registered since 18th Jun 2013
Fri 27-Sep-13 03:39 AM

I wish I was kidding; I haven't even had it a week. (Recap: the body has a 203XXXX serial number, but less than 12,500 actuations.) I had waited sooooo long for the camera I had always wanted, and something very bad has happened to it.

We went out for a photo walk yesterday evening, and the D3s and 28/1.4 seemed to get along just fine - my main frustration was my rookie inability to fully compensate for the sodium vapor street lights. This afternoon, while dropping off a roll of film, I asked for some help/advice with tweaking the custom white balance settings. The people behind the counter at this store are pros, good people, and have always taken very good care of us.

Here's where everything went off the rails; right after the dealer (an experienced news photographer with decades of Nikon pro body experience) set the "PRE" custom WB, he noticed that the camera had suddenly locked itself into bracketing mode, completely unprompted. He was nowhere near the button.

None of the freaking buttons work, except the shutter release. Nothing else. No menu. All I can do is release the shutter and change bracketing settings with the wheels. My blonde logic is trying to convince me that something in/behind the WB button shorted out/malfunctioned, which is why the 2-finger reset won't work.

Two-button reset fails.
Removing both batteries fails to reset anything.
I installed the latest firmware earlier in the week.
We even got the regional Nikon vendor rep on the phone. Nothing she suggested worked.

Needless to say, if anybody has experienced this before and knows of a quickish resolution, I'd love to hear about it. But for now, these are my choices:

1) I am still well within Adorama's return window, but they are closed for the religious holidays until Sunday. That would be for refund/exchange, (less shipping) but:

1a) They don't have any D3s bodies in stock, according to their website, which would lead to:

1b) Wait until Adorama or another store gets a D3s in, and roll the dice again on another used unit, assuming one in good condition/low mileage can be found. Wait = who knows? Cost = minimal.

2) Use the Mack warranty, but it stipulates that it does not kick in until 45 days after the initial purchase. That means the beginning of November, plus 2? 3? 4? weeks for the repairs to happen. Wait = possibly until Christmas or later, but repairs covered under warranty.

3) Have the local dealer send it in to Nikon right now for CLA + repair, receive an almost-refurbed unit back in maybe 2-3 weeks. Wait = not too terribly long; cost = unsure.

Right now I am seriously leaning towards option 3 - getting a "sure thing" repair plus whatever magic they do when they CLA it, with minimal delay in getting my camera back.

I did manage to make it halfway home before I started to cry. This stinks. Any advice, wisdom, chocolate, puppies or baby pandas will be greatly appreciated.

Geaux Tigers!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Serious advice needed here, my friends - the D3s is...

G