Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Offsetting the color cast from night lights in camera?

M_Jackson

Jackson, US
747 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
M_Jackson Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005
Thu 08-Aug-13 05:20 AM

I was out at 3:00 am in the morning a few nights ago doing a little light painting and some milky way night shots. At one time, I was at a ranch, lighting an old carriage with the Tetons in the background. There were two large street lights over the barns and corrals casting light across the scene, almost all behind the carriage. The long exposure picked up the remnant light in the pasture behind the carriage. These lights were a little different from each other, but both had a slightly blue green hue to them. I was shooting in RAW, so I attempted to color correct the shot in LR and Photoshop, but I am not 100% satisfied.

A few weeks earlier, I was doing similar shots at Leek's Marina during the night. At the boat dock, there was a street light putting out a very harsh orange light. Similar issues. If I adjusted too much with lowering the Kelvin, some parts turned really blue while trying to neutralize the orange.

Another time, I was photographing the rock wall and entrance at the old prison in Boise at night. That place has a light that put out a severe green cast.

To be honest, I probably did about the best that could be done in post production, but it seems like a reasonable question to post here to see if anyone has suggestions. I know I can put the camera in Live View and adjust Kelvin settings in the camera manually until it looks right. Some of these issues seem to be more related to the green/magenta side of things vs the blue/yellow I can control with the Kelvin settings.

I have a D4 and a D800. I hope this is the right forum to ask the question. It didn't seem like a speed light issue.

Thanks in advance,
M. Jackson

M. Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY

Blog: www.bestofthetetons.com
Web Site: www.tetonimages.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Offsetting the color cast from night lights in came...

G