Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

AF adjustments across multiple bodies?

petterf

SE
138 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
petterf Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Nov 2008
Mon 22-Jul-13 05:16 PM

My four most used lenses are the traditional 14-24, 24-70, 70-200 and 50/1.4
With my D3 I've not seen any real world problem wich focus alignment. If I really pixelpeep using my Gitzo and a focus chart the AF fine tuning might look like this:
D3: 0,+7, 0, -7

But for ordinary use the subjects move more then what the AF offsets.

I then got myself a D3x and getting the most out of it with fast lenses requires a steady hand.
I did notice that the F-mount did have some play so I had it looked at by Nikon and they replaced the D3x F-mount ring which was out of specs.

After this the AF is not what it used to be of course and even hyperfocal shots with the 14-24 are out of focus. :/

The D3x AF-fine tuning do now look like this:
D3x: -15, -5, -15, -7

As you can see difference between the bodies of around 15 units where the D3 focus on target but the D3x behind the target. The 50 is the one which show consistency.

How would Nikon perform a multiple body/lens adjustment?

As we are in the middle of vacation time I'm not parting with my stuff so as of now the large number of fine tuning will be used, but would you guys have another approach to this?

Petter
-Ever wondered where gadgets go when they die?

G