Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Sell D3 and get a D600?

cbeckPhoto

San Ramon, US
163 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
cbeckPhoto Registered since 15th Jun 2004
Sun 19-May-13 01:56 AM

I hope posting this in the D4/3/2/1 forum was the right choice. I thought there may be too much D600 enthusiasm in the D600 forum.
I was hoping members of this forum would share their thoughts on what I might miss in the D3 or enjoy having in the D600 (I assume some of you know both cameras).
I have had the D3 since 2008 and am very much in love with it. However, due to some unfortunate physical changes it has become too heavy for me and has spent too much time in the closet the pasts 2 years. I can hold it up and shoot but I can’t walk very far with it.
Looking at the current Nikon DSLRs the D600 looks like the best choice to me feature wise. I am open to other suggestions. It is a third lighter. I wonder if that will be enough of a difference, especially since lenses add much of the weight, and I have wonder if I should just get a point and shoot but am sure that would leave me frustrated.
I use the camera for shooting my son playing sports and for casual shooting of people and things. I often use the D3 indoors without a flash and consider this to be very important.
I’m more interested in what I haven’t thought about/don’t know than what I have already considered, but having read-up on the D600 I have come up with the following considerations and questions.
1. Frames per second D600 5.5 fps for 15 images, D3 9 fps for 17 images. I think the D600 is ‘good enough’ in this department.
2. Focus speed and accuracy – am not sure how they compare.
3. Max shutter speed D600 1/4000 v D3 1/8000 – will it matter to me?
4. No histogram – Not sure how I would live without this.
5. High ISO noise
6. Focus tracking
7. Auto focus in low light
8. Last but not lease there is the weight: D3 2.87lbs v D600 1.87lbs which is about 34% less.

Thank you for your considerations!

cbeckPhoto

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Sell D3 and get a D600?

G