Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

A strange Nikon D1 problem

lewiscollard

UK
2 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
lewiscollard Registered since 30th Dec 2012
Fri 15-Mar-13 03:22 PM | edited Fri 15-Mar-13 03:43 PM by lewiscollard

Hi guys, it's me from this thread. I'm appealing to you folks because I know there are some professionals who have shot the D1 in the past, and some of those may have encountered a similar problem. And this place is a serious hub of technical knowledge, so I'm throwing this out there on the off-chance that one of you might know what's going on here.

Here's what I get when I fire my D1 right now:

Click on image to view larger version

Basically, a bunch of big purple blobs. I've actually had a similar problem in the past, twice. When the D1 was running low on battery, I got strange behaviour like this:

And later:

This was cleared by fully-charging the battery and then firing off a few shots. I didn't encounter it again until months later. And now, with a fully-charged battery, it does the same thing, or at least a very similar thing.

Now, with the most recent occurrence of this, I have checked the voltage coming from the battery. It is fine (slightly above the nominal 7.2v). A reader of my site had similar behaviour on a very different camera, and he says it was because the CCD was on the way out. But I have my doubts; the behaviour is very similar to that which happened when the battery was running low. But then, maybe that was weirdness that could be triggered by a low voltage or a dying CCD.

I have no idea. Does anyone else? Can I fix this, or is my beautiful D1 now bound for a display shelf?

Before anyone asks why I want to resurrect a D1: I own many other cameras. I shoot the D1 because I find doing so funny. And the D1 is a brutal camera, a work of art in its design, and one of the most important cameras of the 20th century. I want to get mine working again for the same reason we preserve old architecture: the D1 deserves that kind of respect.

One unrelated shot to remind you why the Nikon D1 is one of the most important cameras ever made:

Thanks a lot in advance for your help, folks.

edit: replaced imgur links with links to Nikonians gallery and added a clarification

G