Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Help - Great Back Up Choice to D3S

UNIphoto2

US
14 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
UNIphoto2 Registered since 18th Feb 2013
Tue 12-Mar-13 03:53 AM | edited Tue 12-Mar-13 03:54 AM by UNIphoto2

I have shot DX for the past 7 years, however, I have moved to FX. I started with the D800 as my first full frame camera but after 5 bodies I gave up (Each body had quirks outside of left focus issue). I returned all of them but ended up with a great deal from my camera retail center, Murphy's Camera in Lexington, KY (Don is the best!!!), I picked up a Nikon D3S for $2900 with 1100 clicks. It was an unbelievable deal. I LOVE the D3S. However, I miss the quality of the D800 and the 1080P video, I think it is the acuity and sharpness of the D800. I decided to try it again and pick up a D800. I just asked in the D800 forum if I should go new or refurb and all responses were new. However, I am thinking is the D800 the best back up and high MP camera for me.

I shoot models in the studio and on location, tons of events and concerts as well as urban, landscape and architecture work. So as I think about it, majority of my paid work I will use the D3S for events and concerts. However when I shoot urban, landscapes and architecture I want more detail and acuity. Here's my dilemma, I am still reading the issues the D800 is suffering from and it is a year later. I'm not sure the problem will be resolved in the D800 and the fix may come with a D800S or D900. I am not up to buying a $3k camera and have to test for focus issues or to be in the field with inconsistent focus, flash issues, and severe front/back focus issues. Yes I am very skeptical of the D800 quality issues but there is no denying when it works it works extremely well.

I sold most of my DX bodies and lenses and what I have left is the D80, Nikon 17-55 2.8 and the 18-200 VR I. These items are still up for sell unless I begin to hear the D7100 may be a consideration for my needs.

I am well invested in FX lenses (85 1.8G, 24-120 f/4G, 50 1.4G, 105 2.8, 80-200 ED-AFD and Sigma 35 1.4).

So, I am asking my comrades what do you think will be a great back-up/landscape/architecture/vacation camera?

I look forward to your opinions and assistance.

Thank you in advance!

G