Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D3s vs. D4 vs. D800e

dougstroudphoto

US
29 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
dougstroudphoto Registered since 25th Jul 2012
Wed 06-Feb-13 01:26 PM

First let me state that I know the D800e is an entirely different camera designed for a different use than the D3s or D4; so don't shoot me.

I currently shoot w/ a D3s and D700. I am a wedding, portrait, event, landscape, and pj photographer. I am going to start shooting some sports, mainly football.

I like my D3s, don't love it though. I find that focusing takes some time in low light and caucasian skin tones come out a little red. Also I am beginning filming so the D3s video quality is sub-standard.

I have shot the D800e for an extended period and greatly appreciate the extra pixel resolution for my landscape and architecture work, however it is not the workhorse, all-around, do-everything that the D3s is. I do like the lightweight of the D800e though, after carrying a D3s w/ a RRS L Bracket and a D700 w/ a battery grip and a RRS L Bracket for 12 hours or longer, the compact minimalist body of the D800e is pure joy.

I have yet to shoot w/ the D4 for more than 5 frames, but I do like what color it produces. However, I am not impressed with the 4mp sensor upgrade from the D3s. That and its $6k price tag.

Anyone who has migrated from the D3s to the D4 or shot the D4 enough to "not" migrate, would you mind sharing your opinion and experiences?

Thanks,

Doug

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D3s vs. D4 vs. D800e