Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D3S Intermittently no auto-focus

Les Suter

CA
32 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Les Suter Registered since 03rd Feb 2008
Mon 19-Nov-12 12:29 PM

Hey All,

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for an intermittently absent autofocus system on my D3s. I seem to have my autofocus disappear for a few seconds (10-ish seconds) every hour or so of shooting. The problem seems to happen regardless of lens choice - I regularly use the 24-70, 14-24, and 70-200 vr1. I can manually focus the lens when the camera/lesnses decide not to, but usually miss shots because of the "surprise" factor.
I have cleaned the lens mount on the body and mounts on the lenses (they appear to be free of any debris or contact corrosion).
When this situation is present, the camera will shoot and record an out of focus image (as I have the camera set up for release-priority). I would assume the camera isn't "falling asleep" just the autofocus system.
I'm fairly certain that this problem would be difficult for Nikon to diagnose as it's infrequent, so thought I'd throw it out there...
What do you guys think?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G