Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Lost D4 vertical multi-selector rubber cap

gpoole

Farmington Hills, US
4122 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundrasing Campaing 2014 Writer Ribbon awarded for his article contributions for the Articles library and the eZine Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004
Thu 25-Oct-12 10:25 PM

The rubber cap on the vertical multi-selector of my D4 has fallen off twice. The first time it came off during a high school football game. I caught the cap as it came off and was easily able to replace it without any tools during a lull in the game. About 17,000 exposures later it came off again. Unfortunately this time I couldn't find the cap. (Note this is the same as the rubber cap on the sub-selector.)

I called Nikon parts, they told me that I would have to send the camera in to have the part replaced. I went online to Nikon support and explained the problem as I have written in the 1st paragraph, and asked that they send me a replacement. They responded with the company line:

"The technology powering today's imaging equipment is more complex than ever, and because of this and the specialized tools necessary to properly perform repairs on this advanced equipment, Nikon Inc. has decided to limit the repair parts available for purchase by consumers."

I responded telling them that the only specialized tool needed to replace this part was the flat end of a toothpick or similar readily available tool. I also repeated the statement from my original message that it is ridiculous to require me to spend $66 to ship them the camera and lose use of it for a couple weeks to have them replace a $1 part that I can easily replace my self in about 1 minute.

I hope they will reconsider their next reply.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA.
Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.
D4, D810, D300 (720nm IR conversion), D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5
My Nikonians Gallery & Our Chapter Gallery

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Lost D4 vertical multi-selector rubber cap

G