Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D4: Why Power Aperture if not while recording?

KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4969 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006
Sun 30-Sep-12 03:59 PM

Here's a random LiveView "feature" - I have the depth of field button set to Power Aperture Close and the Function button set to Power Aperture Open on the D4. But they don't function during recording whereas my command dial DOES change aperture during filming and the resultant recorded video gets darker or brighter. Why would I want to use Power Aperture but only NOT during actual recording?

It seems logical to me that if I wanted to use Power Aperture it is during recording and not with a constraint that says "only if you are not recording presently".

I am going through and re-optimizing my button use and making modes A through D consistent so that in the heat of the moment I have a foggy idea of what buttons to hit on this amazing camera. And while the Power Aperture feature sounds attractive, I don't think it has any practical value?

My dim sense is I may be making an assumption here. I am assuming I am using manual mode during video, in which case the D4 allows me to vary the aperture, shutter speed, AND ISO, all while recording (something known as full manual control in video circles). But maybe Power Aperture comes into play if one is shooting video in non-manual (aperture, shutter, or program priority) modes which all share the same limited behaviour while videoing in that they do not allow full manual control. In fact these other three modes of videoing offer a constrained yet automated flexibility, but I am avoiding them at least until I have time to study why and when they would be of value (aside from that they automatically set the exposure and I think they auto vary the exposure/ISO too, so probably worth some study on another day).

I would be interested in your comments! Power aperture SOUNDS like a great feature, maybe deserving of a place on my button programming but why?

And I'd appreciate your comment on the alternative button programming choice which looks like it has some utility given that while I am videoing I can change my still settings while using the "View Photo Shooting Info". This button acts like a toggle and I can toggle over to my still aperture, SS, and ISO, change them, again all while shooting video but without impacting the in progress video. Then when I switch from video back to stills I can use these new still settings immediately.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

G