Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

High ISO, I don't Get It

karma1248

Los Alamos, US
80 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
karma1248 Registered since 10th Sep 2012
Thu 27-Sep-12 08:56 PM

HI All,
I'm confused (a normal situation!). While researching the D2X and the D2XS for possible purchase, the common complaint about both is their high ISO performance. Noise is the dirty word. "Don't go past ISO 800 or you will be sorry", I've been told. Some folks seem to think that noise will cause a small nuclear event!!

Back in my film days I rarely used even 400 ISO film. I did when I had to but typically I shot ISO 200 film. I tried ISO 800 a few times but the results were so bad that I forever consigned that speed to the dust bin.

The point is I never used ISO 800 and very seldom found a need for it. My comfort zone was ISO 100 to 400. Even 400 was iffy. Remember the grain of Tri X?

Now, in this enlightened digital age if a camera can't do ISO 3200 it is condemned, chastised, and tossed away. I just don't get it.

Don't misunderstand. I do understand the utility of a fast camera. But, I would use that capability so seldom that I would never use high speed as a criterion for purchase. Much less condemn an otherwise fine camera based strictly on high ISO performance. I just don't get it.

I think we are becoming slaves to a spec sheet when we should be more concerned on how we actually use a camera.

Sparky

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: High ISO, I don't Get It