Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Used D3 - red flags?

philaphotog

US
1 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
philaphotog Registered since 31st Jan 2009
Wed 19-Sep-12 01:32 AM

Hi all -

I have the opportunity to buy a used D3 for about $2500. It's been in service just under a year and has taken about 70,000 shots.

I've been testing it out for the last 24 hours and have noticed two potential issues. I would truly appreciate your input on whether or not these would be red flags to you - or if they are just quirks that many experience with the D3:

1. Metering selector dial - for some reason, it is incredibly difficult to push this back into the spot metering position. It really wants to stay at matrix metering and can take a couple of tries (pushes) to get into into spot metering mode. (Yes I am holding down the release button in the middle as I do this!)

2. Main command dial - sometimes when this "clicks" as I spin it, it registers the desired change (such as adding a + or - on exposure compensation) but sometimes it takes a couple of clicks in order for the desired adjustment to be made and to register.

Does anyone have any thoughts on these two issues? Are they a red flag that this body hasn't been treated well and might therefore have issues, or are these unsurprising quirks that happen often?

MANY thanks in advance for your input!
Amanda

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G