Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Can D3s NEFs be changed from sRGB to RGB upon import?

spiritualized67

Western PA, US
3288 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
spiritualized67 Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, most notably in Street & Landscape Photography Nikonian since 01st Mar 2007
Sat 01-Sep-12 05:30 PM

I should know this, although I need some clarification. I have a D3s.

I'm attending a photo workshop in late Sept. that only allows you to shoot JPEG, without any editing (you basically give the workshop instructors your memory card/images right out of the camera). I plan on shooting using the JPEG + RAW setting so that I have a NEF back up for future editing use (I can either place these two formats on the same card or use one slot for JPEG and one for NEF).

My question regards color space. While I typically shoot RGB, I plan on shooting in sRGB for this workshop - because the workshop instructors won't allow any editing - which would include converting to the sRGB space for online viewing (which is how our images will most likely be presented to the group).

My question has to do with the backup NEF images. These will be tagged as sRGB as well - although I always convert to ProPhoto RGB upon Capture NX2 import (but normally I do this from images originally saved in the RGB space).

My recollection tells me that changing a NEF from sRGB to RGB upon NX2 import won't cause any issues, because the camera is just setting sRGB as a preference (based on your in-camera setting), rather than it being a fixed value.

In other words, you can't go from a smaller color space to a larger one if sRGB is fixed, like it would be with a JPEG. But with Capture NX2 and NEFs, I assume you're really working with a larger color gamut to begin with, even if it's pulling over the smaller color space (sRGB) tagged setting that you had set in camera. And you are basically overriding this when you convert upon import. Is this logic correct? I just want to make sure my NEFs won't forever be limited to sRGB if that's what I set in camera - as I like to edit and print using the wider space.

Thanks,
Dan

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Can D3s NEFs be changed from sRGB to RGB upon impor...

G