Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D4 a "nature" camera??!!

sigint17

Lincoln, US
46 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
sigint17 Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Dec 2010
Tue 21-Aug-12 02:29 AM

When I first read about the D4 I thought, "Who needs it. Only 16 mp, when would I ever use 10 fps?" The more I read posts from those that bought a D4, the more I was convinced I should at least try one. Mine arrived this morning and as soon as the battery was charged I stuck my 300mm f4 w/TC-17E on the D4 and headed for the pond to photograph some Blue Dasher dragonflies. I know that when a Blue Dasher finds a place it likes to alight, it generally returns to the same spot even when scared away. So I focused on the spot I knew it would return to and when I saw it headed in that direction, I depressed the shutter and the D4 fired in a burst of ten frames per second. When I got home I observed that I had a blurred but interesting shot of the dragonfly approaching to land, a head in focus image the instant before it landed, and finally it sitting on its perch. See Nikonian's Wildlife photography gallery

I had set the D4 at ISO 6400, f13, and 1/5000th shutter speed. I found at 6400 ISO the image was effectively noise free, had plenty of resolution, and great color. I only shoot in RAW .

I have a D800 but must admit it can be problematical. When it's good, it's very, very good but it isn't always good . If someone asked me, I would say buy a D3X unless you are a pro shooting weddings or studio fashion where the 36mp comes into its own.

I intend to use the D4 on my upcoming trip to China, at next months rodeo, and perhaps on a trip to the Monterey Bay Aquarium. The aquarium is where the D4 should really shine because of its high ISO/ low noise capability. With the return of cooler weather, the sparrows will be back along with geese, Sandhill Cranes, numerous ducks and all the other "winter" birds I miss when the 100 plus heat here in Lincoln drives them off. Then I intend to really put the D4 through its paces.

I've also noted that more and more public performances now allow "flash free" photography. The D4 should eat that alive. I expect it will be great for poorly lit museum interiors, too.

I had a D3S and a D3X . The only way I could see a major step up for the D4 is with the 24mp capability of the D3X with the D4's low noise/high ISO features. The D4 is a rock solid body and the sensor's performance, especially at high ISOs, leaves the D3X in the dust.

Tom

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G